Friday, January 2, 2009

respect: learn it.

I've begun to notice day by day how little people respect one another, and I've grown extremely tired of this. I have a story I would like to share to emphasize my point.

As most of you know, I'm in the high school band, and yesterday we attended a marching critique and UCA football game in Conway. We had to learn some new things for the football game that evening, as we were participating with 1,200 or so other band members from different towns--some even from different states. After given directions, we were provided lunch and had the privilege of relaxing before the big evening.
After waiting a couple of hours, the time for the football game arrived. We waited until ten minutes before the buzzer sounded, recognizing the end of the second quarter and the beginning of halftime. We were ordered to line up in our formation for the show (which was a massive rectangular shape on the field). Each of us had lines, each of us had to remember the people behind, in front, and to the sides of us, which I had done. I noticed that no one was exactly rushing to their spots, since we had ten minutes before halftime even began. Seeing this, I didn't rush too very much either, seeing as how I was in relatively the spot I should have been.
Before I can exactly comprehend why, my name is literally screamed from behind me. (Keep in mind this is a very crowded place; there are almost 600 people crammed in this end zone of the field. It is LOUD.) I turn to see who was trying to get my attention. It was Dani (Daniel Snyder). At this time, note that I do not respect her, much less even like her. I can hardly tolerate the brat.
I ask as politely as I could, "What?" And she responded snappily, "I've called your name like three freakin' times and you never pay attention. Your spot is OVER HERE." Again, I try to talk to her politely, by saying, "Excuse me, but you could have approached me and tapped me on the shoulder or something. It's loud here; I can't hear you." And of course, another snappy remark: "Psh, I'm not going to do that." I finally lose my cool. I've more than respected her at this point, and I see no reason after that to continue to do so. My response is, "Fine. STOP FUCKING BITCHING THEN." And, I turn and walk toward my spot which is about only a foot away. She does not speak to me the rest of the evening.


Tell me: by reading that, can you see what I am getting at? I am a Senior in high school; she is a Junior. Not to use my class as a reason to respect me (for she should respect Sophomores as well), but I know the ropes a little better than she does.

I find it hard to tolerate people who treat me as though I mean nothing. Which brings me to another little side story sort of thing. I was told by the section leaders in Band that my opinion mattered, and that what I said was important. However, when I need to speak, I get overridden, ignored and interrupted. To me, this does not send a message that states what they had told me.

One of my problems, is that I allow people to do walk all over me. They figure I'm a decent girl, who tries to be nice to nearly everyone, and so it doesn't matter if I get hurt a little. Which, yes, everyone. Getting treated like that hurts a LOT. I let people use me like a carpet and treat me like shit. At this rate, it is going to end very soon, and I'm not going to be the "nice kind of girl" that people know me as. I am going to purely be a BITCH.

I need to defend myself, and I seriously think that it's one of my biggest problems. I let myself get used and walked on.

No more.




MY POINT OF THIS BLOG:
I am simply sick and tired of getting treated like shit.
I see no point-no reason-for people who degrade and absolutely disrespect others. I cannot stand it one bit, and I think that is one of my problems with people. From here on out, I am going to try to state my opinions clearly and loudly, and if someone doesn't like it, fuck them. It's the way I seem to get treated a lot. Why not return the favor?

No comments: